Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 November 2011

Rotovelo Roof







I came up with this design for the rotovelo roof last year when I was deciding whether or not to buy a rotovelo which came with no roof. Similarity to the current trisled version is coincidental. Tana Lee did the assembly and after a test run today, it works a treat. It's simply 2 sides and a top cut from a sheet of coroflute welded together with hot glue then tape. We secured the coroflute cap to the hatch using 4 short lengths of alloy. We bent footings for them in the vice, punched a few small bolts in it and thats it. We will glue velcroe to the front uprights so a detachable clear plastic screen can be carried/used as required. I immediately noticed the coroflute dulled the chain noise which was a nice surprise. I did try a flevobike velo roof. I found the flevo bike roof to be unstable in the wind and it involves a tricky 2 move process to enter/exit the bike. By contrast, this roof is rock solid, light as a feather and a few hours to make at under $100 NZ.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have plans for this hood? I would love to add one to my Rotovelo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I dont maintain this sight much and didnt see your email. Just cut out shapes from cardboard using cellotape to hold them in place. When your happy with it copy it using corflute. Attach it to the "collar". Easy.

      Delete